At Holy Family School we aim for all pupils to:
- Develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places
- Understand the processes that give rise to key physical and human geographical features of the world
- Develop skills of analysis, communication, fieldwork and interpretation
- Confidently use a range of geographical resources including atlases and compasses and aerial photographs.
We follow the statutory guidance set out in the 2014 National Curriculum. Each year group has developed topics that ensure all the KS1 and KS2 objectives are covered. Cross curricular links are made where appropriate to ensure that children are able to apply their knowledge to other areas of the curriculum. Each topic is planned with a sequence of progressive lessons over the term.
In KS1 the children study:
- The name and location of the world’s continents and oceans
- The name and location of the Countries and capital cities of the UK
- Geographical similarities and differences between locations
- Weather around the world
- Geographical vocabulary
In KS2 the children study:
- The name and location of the world’s countries with a focus on Europe
- The key topographical features of the UK including mountains, rivers and coasts
- Physical geography
- Types of settlement, trade and land use
Please see attached the progression of skills in Geography from YR-Y6.