Year 5 Curriculum Overview
- The White Horse of Zennor (wishing tale)
- Knockers! (non-chronological report)
- Wet (performance poem)
- The Lost ( warning tale)
- Diary from Joe (recount)
- Christmas poetry
- Numbers up to 1 million
- Comparing and ordering numbers
- Counting in powers of 10
- Rounding numbers up to 1mil
- Negative numbers
Addition and Subtraction
- Column method with larger numbers
- Mental strategies
Multiplication and Division
- Number facts: prime numbers, squares and cubes
- Multiplying 4 digit- numbers by 2 digits
- Division methods with remainders
- Looking at reproductive process of flowering plants.
- Describing life process of reproduction in different types of animals e.g. mammals, birds, fish.
- Comparing life cycles of animals in different environments e.g. rainforest animals v desert ones.
All Living Things
- Describe how living things are classified into broad groups
- Classifying animals and plants on their characteristics.
Creative Topic – Carnival! (Brazil)
Brazil and the Rainforest
- Map of Brazil
- Comparing the climates of Rio and London!
- Researching how to save the rainforest
- Creating a ‘rainforest’
- Case study of a rainforest animal, including report, and artwork in the style of Rousseau
- Understanding the impact of deforestation – including on the Yanomimi tribes (presentation)
- Zoo trip!
Life in and out of the carnival
- Researching life in the Favela
- Learning the Samba (dance)!
- Samba drumming workshops
- Looking at art work of Romero Britto and creating our own
- Brazil Day: Creating cocktails, cooking Brazilian food, playing Brazilian games – and of course, the carnival!
- What happens in the Creation story, and what it really means for us.
- How we can be Stewards of the Earth, and researching what we can do, then putting in place a project to help achieve that.
- How Science and Religion can complement each other.
- What is a covenant?
- God’s covenant with Abraham, and the Israelites
- Looking at different prophets and their messages
- A new covenant?
- Looking at being responsible digital citizens online, particularly at online gaming.
- Using software to create databases and graphs, relevant to our investigation of the rainforest
- Using software to create presentations for our Brazil topic
- Basketball - Samba dancing
- Rugby - Badminton
- Looking at classic work songs – particularly Livin’ On A Prayer
- Learning and practising our songs for the Christmas Panto!
- Spanish sessions will follow a new scheme of work beginning this year.
- Jigsaw will continue. Our 1st topic is ‘Being Me in My World’, followed by ‘Celebrating Difference’. Sessions will involve reflective discussion as a class.