Welcome back - Term 2
I hope you have had a restful half-term break. This is a particularly busy term so there’s a lot to inform you about!
A reminder of the expectations for Year 5:
- Reading books will always be changed on a Thursday (unless stated otherwise), but books are collected in on Wednesday so Mrs Nyarko can start changing them early. She has requested that parents/children please write in when they have finished a book – if this does not happed she will not change them.
- Guided reading – please encourage your child to complete their guided reading homework on Monday night (or Tuesday in some cases). It is vital they come into the session with clear responses in their head to open up discussion.
- TT rockstars. We will begin multiplication and division in Maths next week. It is crucial that Year 5 are secure with their times tables during this. I have set fortnightly targets for the children on this – around 50 garage sessions every 2 weeks. Please can I ask you encourage them to log-on and achieve this.
Thank you for all the wonderful masks and Save the Rainforest posters last term. These are all on display outside our classroom. 2 new projects for this term:
- Creative: Create a Brazilian rainstick! For our Brazil day Carnival. You will need an empty cardboard tube, paint and beans, rice, beads or other material for inside; and decorative materials. Decorate the rainstick with a rainforest feel! This will be due by Fri 29th Nov (or earlier for our Class assembly!)
- Written: Design a holiday brochure for Brazil. This should be leaflet style, with appropriate advertising including why someone should visit Brazil! This will be due Fri 13th Dec.
Lots to look forward to this term!
- KS2 Panto! Year 5 will be taking the leading roles in performing ‘Hoodwinked’ – A Robin Hood musical for our Xmas panto. Scripts will be sent home this week after auditions – please help them learn their lines quickly over the next week! Our performances will be on 10th/12th Dec.
- Year 5 class assembly – Our class assembly will be on Fri 22nd Nov (9:15am) and will be all about Brazil, talking you through our Eco project, life in Brazil and showing you our Samba moves!
- Samba Drumming performance – As you are aware, Year 5 have been learning Samba drumming through our teacher, Silas, which will culminate in a performance to parents on Weds 27th Nov (approx. 2:30pm). The performance will also include Year 4, who have learnt djembe drumming.
- Brazil Day – the culmination of our Brazil project will be a ‘Carnival’ day. We are hoping to cook Brazilian food, make mocktails, play Brazilian games and perform music in a jam-packed day! I am hoping to do this around 13th Dec, although this is subject to change. Parents are of course welcome throughout this day.
I hope to speak to you all in person next week for parents’ evening!