Year 4 – St Teresa of Calcutta
Welcome to the Year 4 Class page
I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year break. Hopefully your children are all refreshed after a long (and very busy!) Autumn term and ready for Spring term!
I am looking forward to a new term with normal learning! Shakespeare is all finished, however we will be showcasing it again later in the year before Easter to the school – so keep an eye out for dates. Our Topic for this term will be Ancient Egypt. This is a fantastic topic which I am sure the children will engage heavily with. In the meantime, if the children have anything they would like to bring in related to our topic, please encourage it!
A new creative topic means lots of creative opportunities. Here are some events that parents can get involved with – however keep in mind most are proposed dates at the moment:
- Mummify an orange! – 16th Jan (to be confirmed)
- Year 4 Class Assembly! – 1st February (confirmed)
- Cooking Dulcis Coccora – 20th February (tbc)
- Building shadufs – 3rd April (tbc)
- Year 4’s Palm Sunday assembly – Tuesday 2nd April (I’m assuming it will be this date)
Homework projects will also return – they will be themed around what we are learning about in Topic lessons at the time.
- Term 3 Creative – Create a Canopic jar – due Jan 25th (separate letter on this soon)
- Term 3 Written – diary entry by Howard Carter – due 8th Feb
- Term 4 Creative – Create Egyptian Amulets – due 15th March
- Term 4 Written – Write a shape poem about the River Nile – due 5th Apr
Other homework reminders:
- Guided Reading: Given out every Monday and must be returned on your child’s day. I will also give out a list of who is in what group – this will not change so please ensure your child returns their homework on this day each week. We will be focusing mainly on inference.
- Maths: A reminder that times tables is highly important at Year 4 – they are expected to know them fluently by the end of the year. Therefore, please practice these at home (topmarks is a fun option) as often as possible in place of Mathletics.
My out of class time will be different this year – I will now be out of class on a Thursday afternoon, with Mrs. MacCallam taking the class for this period. She will do an RE reflective session and the Jigsaw scheme in these afternoons, so will act as a reflective period for the class every week.
The timetable largely remains the same despite this, with PE continuing on Tuesdays and Fridays, so please ensure PE kits are in school all week. Book changing day will remain on a Friday.
Finally, I would like to introduce Wednesday mornings as a stay-and-play session for parents. Come join us from 9am to 9:15am to do times tables, watch us perform our scripts, sing songs and more!
As always, if you have any concerns or problems, however small, please do not hesitate to find me at the door after-school, or in the mornings on the playground.