Year 4 Curriculum Overview
- Voices in the Park (1st person writing)
- Park Leaflet (Persuasion texts)
- Free Verse Poetry
- The Firework Maker’s Daughter (Tale of Quest)
- How do Fireworks Work (explanation text)
- Time: analogue and digital
- Shapes, angles and symmetry
- Position and Direction: coordinates and translations
- Statistics: Tables and graphs
- Review and revise
- Problem solving challenges
Classification of Living Things
- How can we group living things?
- Identify animals and plants
- How can environments change? How does affect animals and plants?
- Identifying parts of a plant
- What do plants need to survive?
- The life cycle of plants
Creative Topic – The Rotten Romans
Who Were the Romans?
- Timeline of the history of Britain
- Reading and writing in Roman numerals
- Discovering the daily life of a Roman soldier
- Creating Roman pottery and coins, and creating a Roman market!
The Roman Conquest
- The Roman invasion of Britain
- Who was Boudicca? Creating artwork influenced by her
- Creating a map of the Roman Empire – what modern countries were influenced?
- Creating Roman catapults
- Re-enacting Roman army battle formations using Roman shields
- Creating Roman Mosaics
- What have the Romans ever done for us?
The Early Christians
- Peter being made the head of the Church
- The Pentecost
- Early apostles such as Stephen, Paul and Silas, their stories, message, challenges they faced.
- What the Church encompasses
- The Sacraments
- The Liturgical year
- The Mission of the Church
- In-depth look on Communion of Saints and Mary
Programming - Coding
- Writing algorithms to move characters in a video game
- Using scratch and programming characters to move and speak
- Solving problems using coding
- Striking and Fielding: rounders and cricket
- Athletics: sprinting, hurdles, javelin and more!
- The Beatles
- Glockenspiels – learning basic notation, identifying and playing notes, composing our own pieces.